Posted on 4th Jan 2012 @ 9:29 PM
Many R4I GOLD PLUS users are confused about how to use these new enhanced R4i cards. Below will mainly talk about their kernel installation and firmware update.
There are two R4I GOLD PLUS packages differing from their accessories - same R4I GOLD PLUS chips.
( R4i card + Firmware Writer + DS Stand )
( R4i card + Micro USB Adapter )
1. R4I GOLD PLUS Kernel Installation
(Need an additional USB Micro Adapter)
- Click Download Link - R4i GOLD PLUS V3.0 ( Please download the latest kernel, kernel installation be the similar )
- Installation - (1) Download and extract R4I GOLD PLUS kernel r4i_gold_plus_vx_x.rar file on your computer ( Extract via WinRAR Tool ); (2) From the extracted items, find and copy moonshl2， SYSTEM ，r4.DAT into the root directory of memory card (FAT32 formatted); (3) Install other DS games or applications; (4) Finished.
Note for Kernel Installation
- If save xxx.rar kernel file directly to root directory of memory card, will show MENU? error on upper white screen like
- Firmware Writer / Burner is used for firmware update only, it will not show up on your computer when connected; we need additional USB micro SD adapter to copy and save games and kernels.
- Do not use Download tool to speed up the kernel download, which will usually damage official kernel. Or get errors / white screens.
- What is root directory of memory card ? Find at Yahoo Answer, eHow answer
- Why need Format memory card before saving kernel ? - Some memory format are not supported for R4i cards, format directly on computer into FAT32/micro SDHC, FAT16/micro SD (other Format tool)
2. Kernel Patch
Some users may want to enjoy more latest DS games while official kernel does not support them yet. Thanks to RetroGameFan and others, here we can quote and upload their kernel patch system V7.01 and now, R4i Gold Plus can install it as below.
- Install latest official kernel to your memory card as instructed above;
- Click and download system v7.01 to your computer,extract and get a System folder, copy its extinfo.dat, infolib.dat, savlib.dat to overwrite the three ones in its official System folder;
- Copy usrcheat.dat to overwrite the one in its SYSTEM\cheats;
- Non-official kernel patch update completes
3. R4I GOLD PLUS Firmware Update
- Why do we need firmware update ? DS console system is updated, which blocks R4I GOLD PLUS and console displays Error message; or bugs need to be fixed.
- Download latest deluxe edition firmware patch, eg. V1.3
- Firmware update - (1) After installing latest kernel as done above, extract firmware patch plus_firmware_update_v1_3.rar on computer via WinRAR, (2) find and copy UPDATE.bin to the same directory as kernel on memory card, (3) Connect memory card, R4I GOLD PLUS, Firwmare Writer and fix fully to computer USB Slot; 1-3 seconds later, Firmware Writer LED light will flash one time; (4) 10 seconds later, Firmware Writer LED light keeps flashing and will light in blue once firmware update completes, at the same time UPDATE.bin deleted from memory card automatically; (5) Take them out from computer, insert this R4I GOLD PLUS and memory card into your DS console to enjoy games.
Note for Firmware Update
- Firmware Writer is not for saving kernel and games, but for firmware update only;
- Download the right update patch;
- The memory card will not show up on your computer when doing firmware reading/writing via Firmware Writer, update is done between memory card, R4i and Firmware Writer; PC just supply the power;
- Do not do the firmware update when there is no update patch on your memory card;
- Do not take out your firmware writer from PC when Firmware Writer is writing on R4i card;
- Firmware update can also be done with iPhone AC adapter, YouTube video guide
1. Kernel Installation
- Same method as Kernel installation for Deluxe package.
2. Firmware Update
- Why do we need firmware update ? 3DS/DSi console system is updated, which blocks R4I GOLD PLUS and console displays Error message; or bugs need to be fixed.
- Download latest standard edition firmware patch, eg. V1.3
- Firmware update - (1) After installing latest kernel, extract firmware patch plus_firmware_softupdate_v1_3.rar on computer via WinRAR tool, (2) Find and copy plus_firmware_softupdate_v1_3.nds to the same directory as kernel on memory card, (3) Run this patch on your DS console till your console tells to restart the system, firmware update completes.
If you have any questions on kernel and firmware update, you can contact R4WOOD freely.